Friday, September 17, 2010

Never Truly Prepared

My Grandfather has been sick this year.  It all began in March.  At the age of 90, he was taken to the hospital for shortness of breath.  They discovered that he had a heart attack and didn't even know it.  They kept him in the hospital for about 2 weeks.  Once he was released, he went immediately to a senior rehabilitation facility.  After 2 days, they discharged him and he went back home.

My Grandmother passed away 12 years ago, so he now lives alone.  Family members took turns going there every morning, afternoon, and evening to make sure he ate, bathed, took his medication, and other things that needed to be done.  He was doing great and getting out of the house to go for a bite to eat, to sit in the fresh air at the park, as well as other adventures.G

Fast forward to Monday, September 13th.  A family member called him to check in and there was no answer.  So, they took a ride over and found that he couldn't get out of his easy chair.  His legs were extremely swollen and his stomach distended.  They immediately took him to the hospital. 

At first, they couldn't figure out what was wrong or what was causing his inability to urinate.  They ran tests and his heart and kidneys looked great.  They put a catheter in to help.  As of Wednesday, they were still doing tests to find the cause of the blockage.  Then, Thursday, my Grandfather was spitting up blood and they had planned a minor surgery for Saturday morning to help the prostate.  This would enable him to urinate on his own.

Well, this morning, Friday, September 17, 2010, my Grandfather suffered another heart attack.  Due to this, they won't perform any surgeries, no matter how minor they are.  It's a catch 22.  If they do the surgery, there is risk he won't make it.  If they don't do it, his kidneys will start to fail.  So, this morning they told my family to be prepared.  It's now just a waiting game.

I thought I was mentally and emotionally prepared for this.  His age and the fact that he has been so sick this year had me start preparing, or so I thought.  When I heard the news this morning, it was as if someone sat on my chest and I was fighting to hold the tears back.  No matter how prepared you think you are, you truly aren't.

The waiting game has begun and it is devastating to me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment